Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Our first day as a group

I don't think any of us were fully aware of what today would be. We went onto the NMMU campus for the first time today and joined a group of fourth year students (called their honor year which starts after their third year of undergrad) and we all went through a very interesting module around "The Champion Within" which results in a pledge that each of us will work to carry the lessons of Nelson Mandela within ourselves, our lives, and impact our community.

We all enjoyed getting to know the students:



Tonight was our township tour. I know I'm not alone when I say that the images of poverty brought me to tears. Here are just a few of the pictures:


These men are buying fresh beef.

The number of shacks seem to go on for miles!

We were able to give a little by purchasing african art and jewelry at a small craft shack on site: 



We then went to dinner in the township and had amazing local entertainment:






It was definitely an unforgettable day!!

(I promise there will be more insightful blog posts and  other people blogging on this starting tomorrow... I just didn't want a day to pass without sharing/showing what happened today and it is very late here).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Michelle! I know Ill be following along and refreshing the blog each day!

    ReplyDelete