Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Thinking and reflecting... The learning process on this professional collaborative experience

In just the last couple days I have been thinking about themes and observations as we have been working with the university. We did not officially start our workshops until Friday and the one day left me with many observations that I could not put into words immediately - the vast similarities and differences of culture, race and ethnic relations, university norms, African "time," how poverty and wealth are displayed, crime, beauty, friendliness, languages, multiple campuses... Etc. It is overwhelming and wonderful at the same time. 

With the weekend, I had time to reflect. I hope to be able to provide a better context in order to understand how diversity and equity are different in post Aparteid S Africa from its framework in the U.S. I may write my reflective paper on that, but I'm also very interested in how the Mandela legacy is being carried down through the next generation of all races and ethnicities.

Lots of thinking. We are off to visit a campus in one of the townships today. The townships are mostly Black African and very poor- many live in shacks barely standing. It will be only my second time going to the townships and it is a very overwhelming experience. I know I will learn a lot and it may take me a while to fully reflect. Sometimes photography allows me to share my thoughts when I do not yet have the words.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering how your experience in the townships compares to what you saw last year in Vietnam. Certainly different histories (and geography), but the contrast of wealth and poverty - as well as the commitment of families to educating their children - strike me as somewhat similar. And not all that different from families living in impoverished conditions in the US?

    ReplyDelete